Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Black Bean Soup

 One of the changes I am currently making in my diet is the amount of produce I'm trying to consume. Just one week into my journey and I'm feeling awesome and full of energy. I think a lot of it has to do with getting my full 5 servings(or more) of fruits and veggies.  


I can honestly say that I have never been cheerful about putting away groceries until this week. Seeing all of the beautifully colored fruits and vegetable overflowing out of my produce drawers made me happy. 








                                 CROCK POT BLACK BEAN SOUP




1 tbs oil
1 Medium onion finely chopped
1 (or 2) cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
2 regular sized cans of diced tomatoes(you could use fresh too, I just didn't have enough fresh tomatoes on hand)
2 Large cans of black beans
1 box Chicken broth
1tsp Cumin to taste
1tsp Chili powder to taste 
Sea salt and ground pepper


About 3 WW Points+ for 1 cup






Directions:


Finely chop onion and peppers. In a large pan add 1 tbs olive oil or oil of choice. Over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion until the onion is translucent and the garlic is light brown. Be careful not to burnt the garlic. 
Take Garlic, onion mixture and add it to the empty crock pot.  Next saute the peppers all together until they are slightly soft(about 2 minutes.) Add peppers to crock pot. 
Here comes the hard part. Pour in the cans of black beans. I rinsed one but left one with the juice. Add the cans of crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and seasoning. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours. 


I made this for everyone at work and everyone LOVED it. My husband was actually sad I was taking it because he really liked it too. It took me about 10 minutes total of prep and we had enough to feed at least ten people. I also topped mine with avocado, fat free mozzarella and 1 tbs Sour cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment